Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Still haven't filled that tag

Although the other morning as I was driving up the mountain I did see a nice little buck that would have fit the bill just fine, standing broadside and perfectly still on the dirt road, not even 100 yards away. Easy shot had I not been in the truck. He just stood there for nearly 30 seconds, confused by the headlights. I knew he would run off into the thick timber as soon as I opened the door, but still I had to try. Sure enough, the moment the door clicked open, he took off as I scrambled to grab my rifle and rack in a round. Too late, Mr. Buck disappeared in the trees and kept going. Oh well a shot from the road hardly would've been legal anyhow.

Now I'm too busy with non-hunting endeavors, and it's too late in the season to be picky anymore. Next time I have a clean shot at a legal animal I'm going to take it even if it's a doe. Besides, we really just need the meat, not that we're super poor so much as we miss pure venison. You can't find that in a store.

No comments: